- This event has passed.
October 12, 2019 @ 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Event Details - Saturday 12th October 2019
Now in its twelfth year, the Mole Valley Pumpkin and Squash Show is the main event of the year for Dorking Allotment Holders' Association (DAHA). Each October the show provides an opportunity for allotmenteers to showcase their horticultural skills through the wonderful world of squashes, pumpkins and gourds. At the same time the show aims to inspire and encourage children (and parents...) to grow their own at home or with their school or scout & guiding group.
Whilst there are obviously some traditional carving pumpkins being exhibited, the show is NOT a Halloween focused event - squashes and pumpkins come in hundreds of different shapes, sizes and flavours. Furthermore there are also pumpkin related art exhibits on show as part of Dorking's Arts Alive festival.
Entry to the show is free to all. Refreshments and meals are for sale in the cafe (some obviously pumpkin based). There are children's games, face painting and a tombola. Get a selfie with our enormous GIANT PUMPKIN which this year weighs almost 600lbs, more than the weight of two giant pandas, you have to see it to believe it!
Entry to the show is not a stuffy affair:
- DAHA members can enter any category for FREE.
- Senior pumpkin categories are otherwise £1 per category for non-members (or joining DAHA costs just £5 per year)
- Junior categories are FREE to enter with THREE prizes of £10 for the winner in each of the three junior categories!
- Squash cook off categories - FREE to enter
- Arts Alive categories for adults and children - FREE to enter
Please do enter the show if you've grown a pumpkin, or grab your paints or camera and enter the arts alive categories. Home or allotment grown pumpkins of all shapes and sizes are brought down for entry on the Friday evening (11th) or Saturday morning (12th) and we NEVER laugh at their blemishes or warts. There's even an ugly category for the most unattractive pumpkin.
If you have any queries about entering the show please just ping us an email firstname.lastname@example.org,uk
It takes many hours to put the show together, from designing the props, creating a menu or schedule, distributing leaflets and baking cakes to growing giant pumpkins in the heat of high summer. We always welcome more volunteers to help. If you would like to get involved in our next show on Saturday 12th October 2019 we would absolutely love to hear from you!
Pick a job you like, join our or Pumpkin Show sub-committee. Any help would be appreciated.
We will need help with the following:
- Working with schools (Spring)
- Working with schools (Autumn)
- Advertising the show
- Distributing leaflets
- Putting up posters
- Creating show props
- Delivering tables
- Set Up on Friday evening
- Set Up on Saturday morning
- Registration of the competition entries
- Decorating the hall and cafe
- Collecting tombola donations
- New children's activities plan
- Running tombola stall
- Running children's activities stall
- Selling produce after the show
- Baking cakes (pumpkin themed or any favourites)
- Cooking lunch (prep and on the day)
- Serving tea & coffee (AM)
- Serving hot food (PM)
- Serving tea and cakes (PM)
- Clearing up after the show
- Returning tables
Currently all these jobs (and more!) are run by just 12 people, in their spare time, in addition to the general committee member's responsibilities, full time jobs, family commitments AND allotments. We would love to have more helpful hands, on the day and throughout the year. Most importantly, we would like you to get involved in growing your own pumpkins and squashes and enter them in the show! Don't have a garden? Join one of our community gardening groups or rent an allotment plot! Good at cooking or have some unexplored creative talents? Enter our Cooking or Arts categories and show off your skills!
- October 12, 2019
1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Event Category:
- Exhibit / Show